Monday, August 11, 2008

Nebraska


Had an unexpected day off, so I scuttled off to morning practice with Liu Laoshi - the first time I have seen Tao Ran Ting Park in the daylight this trip. They have completely redesigned, redecorated and improved the entire place since my visit last fall. This is quite significant because the park is nowhere near any of the Olympic sites, most of which are scattered all over the northern part of town, quite far away. I hate to mention it, but a toilet report is obligatory. This park passes, with flying colors. Morning and night, it is clean, has toilet paper, etc. I expect such changes near the Olympic sites, but to see such changes far from the venues is especially encouraging.

I did some wandering around between buses near Qian Men, one of the main gates / bus stops / subway stations near that big square that starts with a T. Bought some Olympic goods, and the obligatory folding fan, took a long wander to find my second bus. Did more wandering after the second bus and saw someone in red shorts with a big N on them, which can only mean one thing. That big N stands for nowledge at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Sure enough, emerging from an alley onto a shopping street far from my hotel, I had stumbled upon 3 Nebraskans, though not gymnasts or athletes as I had imagined. Go figure.

Other news - it rained and poured yesterday, when I spent the entire day inside the tech crew cabin, only got soaked going to the toilet. Today - my day off - it is actually a bit cool and a bit less humid than it has been every day so far, so I feel quite blessed. So everything has worked out in my favor on the weather front.

The only problem is that I have just been run through all 12 animal forms (xing yi quan) in four sessions and need time to review, review, review. At the end of today's practice, Liu Laoshi told me we would start a new form next time, one I have never learned (or even seen) in Japan. Not a complaint, mind - this is exactly what I came for.

No comments: