Tuesday, October 7, 2008

lost tai ji classic rediscovered

I wasn't going to tell anyone about this, but I can no longer contain myself. While sifting through musty old tomes in one of my favorite used bookstores, I came upon an unimagined treasure - a long lost tai ji classic. I can't divulge too much yet, but I was pleased to find a chapter whose contents may rock the gentle tai ji world. In short, this work says it is acceptable, even good, to practice tai ji late at night.
For years I have struggled with the common taiji edicts about practicing early in the morning. But this work tells me not to worry - that is only for morning people. The Tao, after all, is about finding the right practice for each of us. And for those who are late-nighters like myself, we do the best for ourselves and for tai ji itself by living in accord with our true nature. So no more struggling awake at ungoshly hours in the morning for sluggish taiji practice for me. No, better to live in accord with my True Nature, and do my practice late at night under the moon.
What forces have conspired to hide this aspect of tai ji theory I cannot imagine, but the true Tao cannot be suppressed. Like water, it creeps and flows forward, overcoming all obstacles. Verily, the soft shall overcome the hard and the late shall overcome the early.
Of course it is far too soon for me to divulge all the details, but more are on the way. Until then, rejoice and reclaim your true Tao Nature, fellow late-nighters!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

every hour corresponds to different part of anatomy, including organs.
time of day or night as well as conditions of practice will change effect of play. There is no one way which is best for every person, but
masters give guidance to those who do not know, such as only day practice. Would like to know what book and source you have found which would benefit everyone.

BP said...

This is an area about which I know little but hope to investigate in the future.

Sadly, I cannot yet divulge the name of the lost classic. Nor (more seriously) can I recommend any one book which would benefit everyone. we are all working on different stuff in taiji at any given time, so the most beneficial books will vary among people and periods of training, I think.

Having said that, one of my all-time favorites in Mark Salzman's Iron and Silk. Another is Ellis Amdur's Dueling with O-Sensei. From Robert Smith, Martial Musings and (title forgotten - tales from 3 years training in Taiwan) are always good. Recently I enjoyed Phillip Starr's The Making of a Butterfly. On the Japanese side, any of Donn Draeger's on budo/ bujutsu in general are essential, and the Skoss' books on koryu are essential for anyone training in that area.

By the way, I would welcome your/ anyone's lists of MA-related recommended reading. Curiously, I took photos of the covers of a couple of these titles a couple weeks back as preparation to blogging about them, so you might see some more detailed pondering in the near-ish future.