Friday, June 5, 2009

the mystery bruise


I used to have them all the time, from sparring. When things are going you don't really recall the details of when and where you got tagged. Now that I seldom spar the mystery bruises seldom occur. But I found one on my thigh last week and couldn't begin to imagine where it had come from.

Last night at gong fu class, I remembered. I have been working on some basic staff (gun, pronounced "goon") moves, southern style. There is a characteristic motion of pulling the lead wrist down sharply onto the thigh to draw the staff down in a vertical circle. Just one swing and it all made sense.

Today I have a much bluer and greener reminder of the source.

(photo from an outdoor session last year)

3 comments:

crayon_ponyfish said...

I fondly remember all of the "kote" bruises so graciously given to me by our Mitaka kendo senseis. Do you still practice with them?

BP said...

c_p: Ha, I also received my share of those. Unfortunately I have not practiced kendo in the mitaka area for some time. I got busier and busier with work and didn't feel I should make such a half- or quarter-assed commitment.

i still call F Sensei from time to time to inform him of my failing the 4dan test yet again.

I feel badly not going, because he and another Sensei were especially encouraging to me. Given that I won't be in Japan forever, your comment may serve as the impetus to get me back over there, even once in a while.

only thing is, there are no mysteries about kendo bruises - you always know when they arrived and who bestowed them upon you. Same with those nice marks left behind when someone's thrust doesn't land properly on the armor and grazes your throat.

bp

crayon_ponyfish said...

Please give F sensei a call (or visit) again for me! I’d love for him, and the entire Mitaka kendo group to know how much they have meant, and continue to mean to me.

If I recall correctly, you were there at my last practice session, when F sensei honored me with a brand new keigogi, that had my name with “sensei” embroidered after it. That was truly an honor.

Please tell them that I’ve taken all of their hard lessons and am now passing them on to the inner-city youth of the US.

Check this out:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20071115/ai_n21114762/?tag=content;col1

The F Sensei in this article is a friend of mine. My school, which is right across the street from his dojo, sends our students to him twice a week for karate lessons.

I believe this is budo in its truest form.