Thursday, April 1, 2010

The things I wake up to...


Springtime in Japan. Work late, drink late, wake up early….and get a blast from the past in real time. Wake up, check email before breakfast...

My friend and one-time karate nemesis unearthed ancient video from our university karate days and transferred it to DVD. Being technological dinosaurs, neither of us uses Twitter or Tweeter or whatever. So he sent me live emails while viewing ---

“I just watched you NOT break some boards. I had a bunch of old video of us “back in the day” put onto DVD, it’s great! We were not bad. You could not break two boards and smashed T’s fingers but who was looking, oh yea, the camera was.”

“Now you just lost a match in Denver cuz you punched him in the face. That’s a no-no.”

Naturally I recall neither of these events and my brain is filled only with images of my elbow going (change that: smashing effortlessly) through 3 boards (maybe it was 4?) at a different testing.

Cue the Metallica song about memory.

3 comments:

daniele.perkele said...

You really could smash 4 boards with your elbow? Man, you're some kind of warrior monk!

BP said...

Not sure how I should take your comment. 4 boards was a good challenge for me at the time (could not do it now, I think) but nothing compared to people who smash through 10 boards and more. Warrior monk? Ha. Bald head and flabby gut might pass for a monk but I don't make much of a warrior. And my days of board-breaking are long gone. Nothing left but a chipped bone in my elbow that still hurts on occasion. That, and my friend's lurking video with all my glorious failures.

BP said...

yeah boyeeee, where I come from if I punch him in the face I think I did ok. maybe he could learn to block?