Wednesday, November 17, 2010

essential training equipment (5)



Another in the series: 1/2 " plastic PVC pipe.

So you're in small town Texas and you need a stick or staff to practice with. All the trees were chopped down to build all of the new houses on the street. You go to WalMart or some other monstrously big store but can't find a parking space for all the pickup trucks. You go home and scrounge in the garage and, just about when you had given up hope, you spy it in the corner, adorned with spider webs.

A five-foot length of PVC pipe. Not tapered but it will have to do. It bends easily and has too much snap on the end of a strike but once again, it will have to do. And it does do fairly well...

2 comments:

Arkangel said...

Yep, I've been forced bat times to train with PVC piping too! I found the excessive "whip" a bit off-putting at first, but still just about preferable to the thin bamboo cane I also tried, which was just too slender to allow me to properly practice sliding hands/changing grips and so on

BP said...

The other day I got bitched at by my neighbor for practicing with "dangerous weapons" in the space between our houses. They might look scary to the untrained eye - the yuan yang yue or deer-horn knives of ba gua zhang.
I banged them on my arm in front of him - painful, but no blood. He was not convinced. I wonder if he would be put off by my swinging some PVC pipe around outdoors next time....