Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Trees are Getting Shorter


I have felt this several times lately – the forms which seemed so long when starting to learn them, seeming to become shorter as you get to know them better. And then when you get fairly familiar with the form, you look back and wonder how it could have ever seemed so daunting.

The Chen style tai ji jian form seemed endless, like I would never reach the end. Now I can stumble through it and it seems so much shorter. I finish the form fearing that I might have left out a sequence of motions. It couldn’t have been that short! Then I go back, check every motion, and they are all there.

Same with the Sha Style tai ji sword routines – seeming endless at the beginning, then not so terribly long after all. Especially the paired / partner form we have been working on and demonstrating lately.

It is not getting any easier – just the opposite, if anything. The stage of rapid progress is finished and all further progress will come in smaller advances and will require increasing amounts of effort and practice for each gain in understanding.

1 comment:

anthony said...

I agree, even to the extent of people hating forms until they realize the true benefit