Saturday, February 19, 2011

grasp the sparrow's tail



Here is a motion who is an old friend: grasp the sparrow's tail, or 揽雀尾, lan que wei. But it can also be four component motions: our old friends peng - lu - ji - an.

I was going through the tai ji quan 24 motion form. My instructor's comment was that I was doing the motion in the style of Yang tai ji (from which 24 is largely derived, though there are differences). In particular, the precursor to the ji motion was much too small for the 24 form; the hand which will be reinforcing should be drawn much further back to the rear on the side before folding in to make contact with the other hand and pushing forward.

It was quite unconscious on my part - it has been years since I had contact with any "pure" Yang style forms, and even that was tai ji dao or broadsword. So where could this interference have come from ? Probably not cross-over or interference in this case, just getting loose, forgetting details.

Or discovering details for the first time. I asked him about the 42 form - the motion appears twice in the form and should be smaller (like Yang) the first time and larger (like 24) the second. Still later, I thought about the 48 form. In my books it looks large (like 24), but my homework list continues to lengthen.

Over 20 years with some of these forms and still not doing everything with full consciousness....

1 comment:

crayon_ponyfish said...

It was been a very rainy weekend out here in Oakland and I saw something that made me think of you. As I said, it has been very rainy recently and as I walked past a park that is usually filled with people practicing tai ji quan (the park is in Oakland's Chinatown) I saw that it was empty. I was wondering were they all go on rainy days - do they just take the day off? Then as I entered the shelter of the BART station I saw that it was filled with people going through their graceful routines in front of the ticket machines.