Wednesday, December 17, 2008

F Street


Some 15 years back, I attended tai ji class at F Street Recreation Center in Lincoln, Nebraska on Sundays. Tai ji was new and fresh to me at that time, and each class was an adventure.

Winter classes were the best. I can still hear the soft hiss of steam coming from the radiators there on second floor, the only sound to guide our motions. And I can still see snow falling through the window, slowly piling up outside.

Classes began with gong fu basics as warm-ups, then we might work on the 48-style. We were so happy to move on after what had seemed an eternity with the 24-style. And here I am in Tokyo, still working on that 24-form, two classes on Wednesdays and other classes elsewhen.

It has been cold and rainy all day. This morning, during the push hands segment of class, I glanced out from the second story window of a local community center and could see the circles rippling out from where raindrops hit the large puddles in the playground area out back. There are no radiators (have never seen one in Japan) but otherwise the setting took me back to F Street and its playground area in the rear.

I found myself wishing for snow, for the large wet snowflakes of spring in Nebraska. I wanted to ride my bicycle through snow-filled streets, then bask in the warmth of F Street. Those Sundays were so relaxing – not the least because I was in the heyday of my karate training and every class was intense and physically exhausting. For me, tai ji served as a good balance or counter to the heaviness of the karate dojo, and Sunday afternoons were a time when I could bask in lightness and empty some of my stress.

I have written in other posts about losing contact with Di Ma over the years. A couple weeks back, I found her at last on the internet. I emailed someone who emailed someone who emailed her and was quite pleased when she wrote back. I got another, longer email from her yesterday, which might explain today’s memories of taiji in Nebraska.

We’ll have to meet again in the future and of course I would welcome her instruction and guidance again. And given that her family lives in Minnesota, there is a good chance there will be snow falling outside when we do meet again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'd prefer contacting you directly, but can't find your direct email.
I wanted to let you know about a resource, The Push Hands Workbook, recently made available on Amazon.com. It is also available at my website (http://www.nando-r.com/MN.asp?pg=pro200) with spiral binding so that it can lay flat. The book includes 50 two person patterns clearly explained with more that 180 photos.

From the back of the book...

This workbook is a step-by-step guide to push hands (t’ui shou). These T’ai Chi Chuan two person exercises are the foundation of the self-defense skills of the art. Written for the beginner through advanced practitioner and teachers, this book presents fun exercises and games that train sensitivity and responsiveness. Specific component skills of push hands (eg. sticking, listening, neutralizing, pushing, rooting etc) are systematically developed through sequential drills presented in the workbook. Important topics that are often poorly addressed in the English literature are explained in clear language and paired with activities.

“As a Grand Champion Push Hands competitor and instructor. I appreciate the format of the book and its usefulness. A book for the beginning student, advanced practitioner, or instructor. Nando clearly leads the reader step by step into the complex world of Push Hands in a fun and non-threatening way.” – Michael Gilman, Director of Gilman Studio, Port Townsend WA, author of 108 Insights into T’ai Chi Chuan and 101 Reflections on T’ai Chi Chuan.

A little about me: Nando Raynolds has practiced Yang style T’ai Chi since 1978 and taught since 1988. He is a licensed psychotherapist and has studied bodywork, yoga and the martial arts. He holds his 3rd dan in Daimon Ryu Kenpo Karate. He wrote the instructional section for The Everything Book of T’ai Chi and Qigong and is a frequent contributor of articles to the Tai Chi Magazine.

Please pass the word!
Thanks,
Nando