Thursday, March 18, 2010

dread


Dread – there was a time (karate) when every new kata was learned with pure excitement, body shaking and tingling, adrenaline rush.

Now each new form is learned with a mixture of excitement and dread. For I have learned too much, and the burden is getting heavier…more time spent reviewing a new form or application means less time for reviewing the old.

Recently the demo / exhibition season has slowed down, finishing last week with the all-Tokyo tournament. My daughter joined the long fist / 长拳 group but I worked staff all day, so the pressure was off me.

Timed nicely, we are in the middle of a series of seminars – two full days of the 42 sword / 剑 form from tomorrow, and last Sunday with another Sun Style tai ji quan seminar.

So it is a great period for consolidation and integration, but as usual the prospect of Just One More new thing is hovering in the background…and with it, the usual mix of dread and excitement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I'm a long time resident, European language teacher and CMA student down south here in Taiwan.

I just finished learning the 42 sword form, and I must say it is nothing compared to my trad. Yang style sword.

Mostly usless perfromance moves, with lagging principles and uncertain applications.

Do you have better experiences?

grets from Taiwan

Hermann