Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sudden Blasts


It's the end of the year, the long winter holiday when I usually do a lot of catching up, consolidation and review. It is one of my favorite times of the year, going back and putting some polish on a year's worth of work.

This year that process has been complicated by the absence of teachers.

Last gong fu practice of the year - the teacher was out and I ended up learning another (unexpected) large segment of the nangun / Southern staff competition form. I learned the first two sections in two huge blasts....then repeated those endlessly. First drilling them in, later focusing on an abridged version of the nangun form we have shown at recent demos. Now the third section is mine, and the fourth and final is in sight.

Last kobudo practice of the year - the main teacher was out and I ended up learning a new sai form (have been through it before, but this time I set out to grab it and make it mine) and moving more deeply into another bo form (have been through it before, but this time....).

I do love these long days of little work and much practice - but it is also daunting, knowing how much I have to review and consolidate.

No comments: